BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Perception is Everything

I was just looking at this blog and I realized that in 2008 I had written 46 blog entries... and this year I only wrote 7. That's pretty pathetic in comparison so I think I'll be cranking these out for the entire summer and college. Lucky you =] .. just kidding that sounded kind of conceited.. but really ;).

When I was thirteen or fourteen I remember being really confused about some problem in my life at the time and asking for my Dad's advice. He told me one thing: "Perception is everything." That phrase has stuck with me since then and whenever I have an issue I tell myself that. So I started reading a new book lately and its the first of a series. It's called "Wizard's First Rule" by Terry Goodkind. It's a fantasy/sci-fi type of book (surprise =P) and so far it is fantastic. I prefer reading about things that aren't realistic... because why should I read about the normal run-of-the-mill things when I can use my imagination and get lost in the magic of other worlds?

The main character's name is Richard Cypher and he's one of those characters that you really wish was real. I mean chivalrous, honest, strong, pure of heart and mind, kind, and ruggedly handsome (well...at least in my mind). What more could you ask for in a hero? But I'm gushing over a fictional character.. where was I? ...Right! I was reading along and I came across the quote "Reality isn't relevant. Perception is everything." So immediately a little mental red flag went up as I recognized the phrase.

Dad... have you been talking to Terry Goodkind?
Doubtful, but the phrase holds an abundance of truth and meaning nonetheless.

Perception really is everything. How you see a situation or how you see certain people really depends on your attitude and your willingness to keep an open mind. Keeping an open mind can enable you to see certain people in a different light, maybe in a way that you have never seen them before. While this can be a good thing... like getting to know someone you hadn't spoken to before and realizing they are an amazing person... it can at the same time be dangerous. Sometimes perception hinders you from seeing the truth. If you are seeing through someone else's point of view you are sometimes vulnerable to trickery and manipulation. You give them the power to make you see and believe what they want you to and not what you would normally believe in by your moral standards. How you perceive the world and people is vital to the type of life you lead. Perception is everything. That's what I learned this week.

My cat eats mice. Does that make him bad? I don't think so, and the cat doesn't think so, but I would bet the mice have a different opinion.

1 comments:

Alex Zurhorst said...

Good ol' wise Daddy D'amico =]