BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, February 24, 2008

"Love": a universal emotion, yet percieved in so many different ways

Good morning.. well technically its almost noon, however I just woke up, so therefore in my mind it's "morning." This is our last day of vacation and it's sad to think that it's almost over. I hope to get out and do something today. Gene might be coming over later and I haven't seen him in awhile so that should be nice. On another note, although I like this break we're having, I really want track to start again. I'm starting feel lazy and lethargic and I need to be active. Sitting around with nothing to do doesn't exactly cut it for me. Oh well, I'm glad I'm at least avoiding the latest Sorrentino essay, for now anyway. Later on I'll have to write it but I think I have a topic idea. Something about how although the media can be partially blamed for the corruption of values and morals in the youth of our nation, the people who are primarily at fault are the parents. Things have changed significantly in our day and age since twenty years ago. People are so busy and overwhelmed with their jobs, paying the bills, and running around, that they sit their kids in front of the television and neglect to teach them the proper values. Kids are forced to obtain their standard systems through the TV, magazines, and some of the music they listen to (like the trashy drug/crime-influenced rap garbage that is somehow widely popular these days -- though I can't contemplate why). So you see, athough the media is at fault in a way, the main cause of the distortion of the youth of the nation is simply this: bad parenting. I'll end up writing about all that later =P.

On a different note: When I woke up before and was brushing my teeth I thought about a conversation I'd had with my parents about..3 days ago. (And I have no idea why I think about things when I'm brushing my teeth, your guess is as good as mine ^_^). I had come downstairs and my parents had started to watch a movie in the living room, so I settled down on the couch and started to watch with them. The movie was called "Pretty in Pink" (yes I know, not my usual movie genre) and it was made in the 80's <3 with stars like Molly Ringwald and Jon Cryer. I don't know if you've ever seen it but if you haven't I'll give you a quick run through: The story takes place in a town with one high school, yet there are 2 parts of the town; the rich-snobby side and the .. not so rich and kind of "trashy" side of town. A guy from the rich side meets a girl from the "other side" of the tracks and they realize that they really like eachother, yet in the hierarchy of their high school this is socially unacceptable. So I guess this is sort of like an 80's era Romeo and Juliet deal, minus all the violence and add some big hair and bright clothing =D. Well anyway, after their first date (and an intesne kiss =P ) the guy brings the girl home and she goes inside and gleefully sits on the sofa where her father is waiting. Since her mother had left them, her father had taken on the responsibility of talking to her about "relationship things." During the course of their talk he asks her "So, do you love this guy?" Smiling and giddy, she replies "Yeah Dad, I think I do." The scene ends shortly after that and she goes to bed.

So there I am sitting there on the couch with my parents, looking incredulously at the screen and let out a quiet "You've got to be kidding me." My dad looks over inquiringly and asks what I mean. And I say, "She loves him? After one date... she's head over heels? I don't buy it." And he asks me "What, you don't think you can be in love with someone after one date?" When I shake my head he asks why. And I told him no because that was the first time they had even gone out, and although they are attracted to eachother, I don't think its love, it could be lust. I also explained how I believe love grows over time and you can't truly love someone unless you get to know them, and accpet them for who they are, not what you think they are. Then he told me how he disagrees. How he thinks love happens in an instant, like being hit by a lightning bolt, and how you can just know after the first kiss. (yeah weird topic to talk about with daddy-dearest right?) And then my parents started talking about how they knew after their first date.. which was cute, I'll admit that.

Back to brushing my teeth this morning: I was thinking about all that and wondering, if love can be described and percieved in so many different ways, then what really is love? Although I accept that it means something different for everyone, I have my own views on it. I think of it this way: Love is like a seed. However not the seed of a plant, but a seed of warmth and happiness that gets planted in your heart, whether you realize it at first or not. This seed grows and flourishes with time, yet unlike a plant, this is something that never dies. As it grows love warms you; body, heart, mind, and soul. I have heard love described as a fire inside of you, and although blazing fires of passion come and go, the warmth always remains with you, never fading, never dieing, and always there within your heart.

I feel like the phrase "I love you" is so over-used, especially in high school. No.. correction: I think it is used too casually. I don't have a problem with it being used, on the contrary I think it's good thing, but I think you should only say it if you really mean it. I just think people get confused as to when and why you use it.. or even what it truly means. See, when you love someone, you don't love them because they are just "so perfect." You love them because you realize they are imperfect; they have faults just like you, they are human, and they can relate to you. You come to accept these imperfections and even fall in love with them, for you see, they are what make the person unique, one of a kind. You take the good in hand with the bad and you see them for who they are, not who you want them to be. We all have our own imperfections, but without them we wouldn't be our true selves, and without seeing and accepting people for who they really are, how can you ever love?

0 comments: