BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

What happens when I'm bored in english (besides random sketches):

Have you ever walked down the halls if a school and noticed all the different groups of people? They are all seperate, different cliques, yet many of the members tend to dress alike, talk alike... even think alike. We form these cliques in order to feel accepted, develop good friendships, and to make a human connection. I don't think cliques are necessarily bad, yet in high school is seems to be taken a bit too far. Cliques can reject other individuals or even threaten them, groups fight with other groups (sometimes like a full out war), and what is it all for?

As you walk through the high school corridors in the morning they are practically buzzing with chatter. Everyone is so absorbed in their lives, their friends, and their own little worlds. Girls gossip about what others are wearing, evaluating and criticizing. They make fun of others for being different while they are indeed subjecting themselves to the ridiculous conformity of society. While they condescendingly condemn individuality, they lose sight of it on a personal level. Not all cliques (or groups of friends) are like this. Some are solid support systems that get along with mostly everyone, but the ones that aren't this way are the irritating ones.

High schools, or the students in them, have created their own isolated and somewhat naiive world. People complain about how they and their best friend are in their latest spat that ends a day later, or how their sixth period teacher is a total jerk (while some people in the world have to live a lifetime under the rule of a dictator, not having the option of getting an education by spending 42 minutes with an adult they mildly dislike). What really gets me is how people complain about their problems on a constant basis to others, as if its a competition of "who has it worse." I don't mean the typical venting we do naturally to clear our heads, I mean the over-the-top whining. When talking to these people, even if you try to contribute a littel to the conversation or change the subject, they turn the entire conversation around once again to one thing: themselves. Sometimes it's like, "okay look, I understand you have your problems, but the world DOES NOT revolve around you. move on"

I find it amazing how people use their issues as a way to get attention. Honestly, do people really need that kind of attention? I know people who will show blatant disregard to others just so they can focus on themselves and flaunt their problems. Its so selfish. Don't they understand that some people have it SO much worse than they do? That they are trying to get attention while people suffer from depression every day, people die in war, children are starving in third world countries, and innocent people die because of the greed and lust for power of others?

Another thing I don't quite understand are the people that have to be right ALL THE TIME, disregarding how evidently wrong they may be. These people argue just for the sake of argument, yet they never hear the opposing views. They don't even blink an eye or dream of considering that the opposition could maybe, just maybe, be making a relevant point. They see the situation with two sides: right and wrong.. and they of course are always right. They are close-minded and therefore ignorant. I don't have a problem with argumentative people, hell, I can be one myself, but I can at least admit it when I'm wrong and acknowledge both sides of an argument. It drives me crazy when these stubborn and nearsighted people go on their monologues, droning on and on, trying to force their opinions down your throat.. and its even worse when they wrong! What is the point? Why must they feel as if its absolutely necessary to prove themselves correct constantly? Are they really that insecure?

In a way I'm growing more and more tired of high school. Well maybe not high school itself, but most definitely it's games and rules. Sure there are things I'll miss; like certain teachers, sports, and seeing friends on a daily basis, but I wont miss getting up at 6 in the morning for class, pushing through people to get to my locker, vindictive hall monitors (won't mention any names =P), or the catty cliques that exist. I want something better, I want the freedom of going to school for something I actually want, not just what is required, and I'm tired of all the foolish games in between. WHen you graduate from high school you move on to college; but when you graduate from college you move on to life. I'm hoping this is just a prequel to something better.

"If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?"

0 comments: